Monday, September 01, 2008

Lens...

Yes, I know. After much research, I have officially dropped the "e" on the word lens. I must take responsibility for my previous TITLE OF MY OWN BLOG... So, I guess before I go pro here, I have to learn how to spell all of my equipment.
Just for your info, though, I did look it up. I have always trusted Mr. Webster. But he is a bit old, and he had it as "lense." That's why our family needs to invest in updated versions of the dictionary OR just google any word in question. Which I did, and here are the results:

Google stats:
Lense - 2.3 million refs
Lens - 54.9 million refs

"lense" is an accepted variant and perhaps more widely used among those who speak the Queen's English.

and from Princeton:
Noun
S: (n) lens, lense, lens system (a transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images)

The archaic spelling lense is sometimes seen, but Merriam-Webster's medical dictionary is the only major dictionary that considers this to be correct.[1]


So, that's enough. I'm not really stupid or crazy. Just archaic - and I'm working on that. Just in case you wondered.

1 comment:

Hillenblog said...

Way to clear up that grey area...