Monday, January 05, 2015

Jan 5 ~ Forgive

If you have been one of those "Unbroken" moviegoers, and haven't read the book, then I encourage you to go get a copy - or borrow one -  and read the last three chapters. Louis Zamperini was an Olympic athlete, a bombardier in the US Air Force during World War II, he was lost at sea for 47 days, he became a POW in Japanese prison camps under horrible conditions, somehow survived, only to return home to severe PTSD and alcoholism. However, the most amazing part of his life to me, is the fact that he offers absolute forgiveness and love to those who persecuted him. How did he do this? It is because of God's absolute Grace in his life. Unbroken may be the title of the book about his life, and subsequent movie, but I believe the real story is the forgiveness that characterized his life from after the war on the day he turned to Christ in 1949, until the day he died just this very year.

Forgiveness. That is huge. I have to ask myself what can I learn from reading this book cover to cover and watching the movie? Since we are all in that mood of introspection, I have to ask myself, am I bitter towards anyone? Do I need to forgive anyone? And then even bigger question, personally, for me. Do I need to forgive myself?

Ohhh, that's where it hits home for me. I am so hard on myself. Countless promises and many commitments over and over again, goals set but not realized… Yes I do need to forgive even myself. I love the quote that my fitness instructor posted online today, "Strive for progress, not perfection." (Thanks Tiana!)
So as I go to that class to walk my mile, and work out, and eat healthy today, I will remember that this is not about becoming perfect… I will leave that perfecting work up to God himself. It's time to forgive yourself for past mistakes and move forward. This is a great time to start fresh. Join me? Drop the guilt of what is behind you, state your goal and let's do what it takes to get there.



I ran my mile (walked, but mostly jogged) at the gym, and ate mostly CLEAN. I am learning!
Bkfst: RAW Meal shake - vanilla
Lunch: Salad greens with grilled chicken veggies, and raspberry vinaigrette (probs not CLEAN)
Snack: Corn Tortilla chips and hummus
Dinner:  Chicken tortilla soup - homemade! Very good on this freezing cold evening. 



No comments: